Historically, there has been diversification among the largest public companies. For decades, the top five companies have included representatives from different segments of the economy such as the tech, industrial, energy, and financial sectors. Many have looked at today’s giants and concluded such diversification has disappeared. However, upon closer examination, a different picture comes into focus. There is still diversity at the top:
- Apple is a design company selling tools that empower people.
- Amazon is a retailer intently focused on offering the best retail experience imaginable.
- Microsoft is an enterprise-focused services company focused on helping people get work done.
- Google is a services company aimed at delivering data-capturing tools to as many people as possible.
- Facebook is a services company providing curated versions of the web (Facebook and Instagram). The Race to a Trillion